Monday, September 28, 2015

Book Review + Outfit- All the Light We Cannot See

I am part of a book club that aims to meet every month. Unfortunately, we didn't meet last month to discuss the book, because we are all teachers and had busy schedules. So the book I am going to talk about was actually last months book, and I just finished it. Oops! As they say- It's better late than never.


The book was All the Light We Cannot See by: Anthony Doerr. Here is the link to the book in  Goodreads: 

All the Light We Cannot See- Goodreads

What I Loved-
1. It was beautifully written with fantastic descriptions. 
2. Interesting perspective from a girl that was blind, and I plan on using it in my English classroom.
3. I loved seeing a girl with a disability not let it debilitate her. She is a strong character, and I love reading that. 
4. It's set in World War 2 and Paris- two things that are interesting to me.
5. It is very quotable; there are many pages that I marked because I loved a quote.
6. A new perspective of a much written about war. 
7. Learning a little history of the city Saint Malo, France (I love learning about new cities and their rich histories). 

What I Didn't Love-
1. It was slow at times, which means it was easy to put down and not miss. 
2. It is 530 pages, which means it is not a quick read. That doesn't bother me except that it was slow at times. 
3. The time periods shifted a lot and confused me, so I did a lot of turning back and forth until half way through I got the hang of it. 
4. Seeing the ugly side of humanity and the repercussions of war. I hated it, but I understand the need for it in a war book. It shows the reality of the situation. 

It is a book that has won many awards and I know why. It is beautifully written, a unique perspective,  and a great historical fiction. I would definitely recommend it!

Now, I did not thrift this book and this is a thrifting blog.....So I have for you a thrifted outfit that was inspired from the book. If you have read it, leave me comments telling me your thoughts about it!



Skirt- Thrifted ( Some vintage brand that is unknown to me)
Shirt- Thrifted (Old Navy)
Shoes- Thriftred (Jessica Simpson)

I am linking up with the following blogs:
The Pleated Poppy / The Mummy Chronicles / Sydney Fashion Hunter / Pampers and Pearls / Shopping My Closet / Classy Yet Trendy / Chic Street Style

2 comments:

  1. Hi there I am coming over from the pleated poppy. I just wanted to peek at your fashion and coincidentally the book you are mentioning was suggested to me as a good read. Thanks for the heads up :) I am not a reader at all so 530 pages IS A LOT!! and having a 7 month old baby does not help much :/ It does sound like a good book...maybe one day! cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I am so glad you stopped by :) It really was a good book! It is a lot of pages, but they are broken up pretty well and not too overwhelming. I also have a fairly new baby; she is six months old. It is definitely hard to find time. I struggle with that too. It was nice to meet you!

      Delete